ASME Section I provides requirements for all methods of construction of power, electric, and miniature boilers, high temperature water boilers, heat recovery steam generators, and certain fired pressure vessels to be used in stationary service, and power boilers used in:
Rules pertaining to use of the V, A,M, PP, S and E ASME Product Certification Marks are also included.
The rules of ASME Section I are applicable to boilers in which steam or other vapor is generated at a pressure more than 15 psig and high-temperature water boilers intended for operation at pressures exceeding 160 psig and/or temperatures exceeding 250 F. Superheaters, economizers, and other pressure parts connected directly to the boiler without intervening valves are considered as part of the scope of ASME Section I (see ASME Code Section I, Power Boilers Preamble).
What are the key changes for ASME BPVC Section I 2023?
- Tables PG-67.5 & PG-67.5M expanded and revised for the Super-critical (Ksc) capacity correction factors in determining the rated relieving capacity of Pressure Relief Devices.
- PW-28.1.3 revised to permit simultaneous qualification of weld procedures by more than one organization.
- Revised y factor table in PG-27.4.6 to make consistent with ASME Section II Part D T-Notes.
- PW-39.2 revised to address the use of buttering welds without PWHT of both materials.
- Form P-4 revised to include a section for documenting BEP under qualifying conditions.
- Tables PG-67.5, PG-67.5M, PG-68.7, and PG-68.7M relocated to an appendix to improve readability of overpressure protection requirements.
Revision: 2023 Edition
Published Date: July 1, 2023
Status: Active, Most Current
Document Language: English
Published By: ASME
Page Count: 445