ASME Section IX contains rules relating to the qualification of welding, brazing, and fusing procedures as required by other BPVC Sections for component manufacture. It also covers rules relating to the qualification and requalification of welders, brazers, and welding, brazing and fusing machine operators in order that they may perform welding, brazing, or plastic fusing as required by other BPVC Sections in the manufacture of components. Welding, brazing, and fusing data cover essential and nonessential variables specific to the joining process used.
The purpose of this chapter is to familiarize you with the principles and requirements of welding qualification documentation. These are the Weld Procedure Specification (WPS), Procedure Qualification Record (PQR) and Welder Performance Qualification (WPQ). The secondary purpose is to define the essential, non-essential and supplementary essential variables used in qualifying WPSs.
ASME section IX is a part of the ASME boiler pressure vessel code that contains the rules for qualifying welding procedures and welders. It is also used to qualify welders and procedures for welding to ASME B31.3.
Other sections of the B&PV Code (e.g. ASME Section VIII Pressure Vessels or ASME Section IV Heating Boilers) may state different or additional specifications to the requirements of Section IX; those requirements take precedent for fabrication within that Section.
What are the key changes for ASME BPVC Section IX 2023?
- QG-108 has been revised to remove the 1962 provision and clarify the status of old PQRs when writing a WPS to a later edition.
- Definition of “initial heating interfacial pressure” was added was added to QG-109.2 and previous omissions of “sidewall-fusing” was added to pertinent definitions within QG-109.2.
- Table QW-264 has a new requirement that includes carbon equivalent limits for applicable steel alloys, when laser welding is performed, in order to address the increased risk of any cracks occurring.
- A new paragraph in QW-403 also includes the new variable for a change in base metals.
- Table QW/QB-422 has been revised to include: Weld metals based on SFA classification: SFA-5.9, SFA-5.18, & SFA-5.28; An explanatory note-QW-424.3; Base metal specification and grades for IRAM-IAS U 500-42, an Argentinian standard for structural use of hot rolled carbon steel sheets.
- Nonmandatory Appendix L has been revised to further clarify the qualification requirements for welders and welding operators.
Revision: 2023 Edition
Published Date: July 1, 2023
Status: Active, Most Current
Document Language: English
Published By: ASME
Page Count: 423