ASME Section V contains requirements and methods for nondestructive examination which are referenced and required by other BPVC Sections.
Subsection A covers the methods of non-destructive examination, and Subsection B contains various ASTM standards covering non-destructive examination methods that have been adopted as standards.
The standards contained in Subsection B are for information only and are non-mandatory unless specifically referenced in whole or in part in Subsection A or referenced in other code sections and other codes, such as ASME B31, Pressure Piping Code.
The non-destructive examination requirements and methods included in ASME Section V are mandatory to the extent they are invoked by other codes and standards or by the purchaser’s specifications. For example, ASME Section III requires radiographic examination of some welds to be performed in accordance with Article 2 of ASME Section V.
ASME Section V does not contain acceptance standards for the non-destructive examination methods covered in Subsection A. The acceptance criteria or standards shall be those contained in the referencing code or standard. For Example ASME Section VIII Div 1 or 2.
It also includes manufacturer’s examination responsibilities, duties of authorized inspectors and requirements for qualification of personnel, inspection and examination. Examination methods are intended to detect surface and internal discontinuities in materials, welds, and fabricated parts and components. A glossary of related terms is included.
What are the key changes for ASME BPVC Section V 2023?
- Article 1, T-120(e) has been modified to include exceptions made to SNT-TC-1A and CP-189. This eliminated the need for Mandatory Appendices III & IV, which were removed.
- Added a new Mandatory Appendix for Article 12 on the evaluation of the sensitivity of an acoustic emission instrumentation.
- Added requirements for the use of TOFD without the supplemental scan of near-surface.
- Revised Article 9, para. T-953, Remote Visual, to accommodate deployment mechanisms like unmanned aircraft vehicles and systems.
- Adopted updated ASTM Specifications documents: ASTM E273-2020, E999-2020, E1030-2021, E1114-2020, E1165-2020, E2491-2013(R2018), E213-2022, A745-2020, E2491-2018, E2700-2020, D7091-2021, E243-2018, E797-2021, E976-2021, E1067-2018, E1118-2020, E1419-00, E2075-2020, and E2261-2021.
Revision: 2023 Edition
Published Date: July 1, 2023
Status: Active, Most Current
Document Language: English
Published By: ASME
Page Count: 1007