ASME Section XIII provides rules for the overpressure protection of pressurized equipment such as boilers, pressure vessels, and piping systems.
This standard provides requirements for topics such as design, material, inspection, assembly, testing, and marking for pressure relief valves, rupture disk devices, pin devices, spring-actuated non-reclosing devices, and temperature and pressure relief valves.
This standard also covers devices in combination, capacity and flow resistance certification, authorization to use the ASME Certification Mark, installation, and overpressure protection by system design.
What are the key changes for ASME BPVC Section XIII 2023?
- In Para 3.3.2, Seat and Disks, the meaning of the term steam cutting has been elaborated on.
- In Para 18.104.22.168, Test Results, guidance was provided on what to do when valves cannot be adjusted to meet blowdown performance, perTable22.214.171.124-1.
- In Part 3, Section 3.5, Part 4, Section 4.2 and Section 1-2, definitions for assembler and manufacturer were revised for clarity and any requirements have been moved to the body of the standard.
- In Section 3.6 and Table 3.6, set pressure tolerance of –0% +10% has been added to Table 126.96.36.199-2 for UV valves when the sole source of overpressure is exposure to fire or heat.
- In 3.6.4, Seat Tightness Test, water and gas test media have been generalized to incompressible and compressible fluids.
Revision: 2023 Edition
Published Date: July 1, 2023
Status: Active, Most Current
Document Language: English
Published By: ASME
Page Count: 125